The United States labels North Korea’s missile launch as “dangerous,” and Blinken speaks with South Korea and Japan
North Korea’s launch of a ballistic missile over Japan was “seriously criticized” by the foreign ministries of Japan and South Korea, including U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
North Korea’s launch of a ballistic missile over Japan was denounced by the United States as “dangerous and reckless,” and it vowed to defend South Korea and Japan with all of its might. However, it also stated that it was still open to conversation with Pyongyang.
Speaking of North Korea by its initials in its official name, White House National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson said in a statement, “This action is destabilizing and exposes the DPRK’s obvious contempt for United Nations Security Council resolutions and international safety norms.”
She said that Jake Sullivan, the national security adviser for the United States, called with counterparts from Japan and South Korea to discuss “appropriate and forceful joint and multilateral actions.”
Mr. Sullivan reaffirmed the “ironclad” American commitments to South Korea’s and Japan’s defense, and he declared that Washington will keep working to restrict North Korea’s ability to progress its illegal weapons programs.
Blinken denounces missile launch over call Korea, South and Japan
The firing of a ballistic missile by North Korea over Japan was “seriously criticized” by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and the foreign ministers of Japan and South Korea, according to a statement from the U.S. State Department.
According to spokeswoman Ned Price, the group also denounced North Korea’s disrespect for numerous Security Council resolutions and its profoundly destabilizing effects on the area.
Mr. Blinken underscored the significance of close trilateral cooperation to hold North Korea “accountable for its intolerable actions” and emphasized that the U.S. commitment to the protection of South Korea and Japan remains “ironclad.”
The missile launched on Tuesday was the first to fly over Japan in five years, prompting a warning for citizens to seek cover and a brief halt of rail service in the country’s north.
China has to take more action to stop North Korea from circumventing sanctions in its coastal seas, according to Daniel Kritenbrink, assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific affairs at the State Department. The shutdown of Pyongyang’s supply networks should be a joint effort between Beijing and Russia, he continued.
He stated that the DPRK’s efforts to undermine the U.N. Security Council, the international rules-based order, and the global non-proliferation system have only been strengthened by the PRC and Russia’s inability to fully and completely uphold their duties.
According to Mr. Kritenbrink, convincing North Korea to denuclearize should be a joint effort between China and the United States, but there are some in Beijing who wish to use the matter as leverage in their larger strategic rivalry with Washington.
His demand on Pyongyang to “commit to serious and persistent diplomacy, and desist from further destabilizing activities” was a reiteration of Washington’s continued openness to dialogue with North Korea without conditions.
Sadly, the only answer so far has been a surge in ballistic missile launches and other provocative measures, the official said. “Neither for North Korea nor for any of us, this is not a productive course going ahead.”
Mr. Kritenbrink reaffirmed a U.S. judgment that the North Korean regime was most likely merely waiting for political consent before restarting nuclear testing for the first time since 2017. A “dangerous” act like that, according to him, would be “a catastrophic escalation that would seriously undermine regional and world stability and security.”
The only way to achieve long-term peace and stability, he added, was via discussions. “It is in the best interest of the international community to assure the DPRK knows that such a move will be met by unanimous condemnation,” he said.
In response to the escalating North Korean threat, Mr. Kritenbrink declared that Washington will “act forcefully” and “take all necessary steps, utilizing all elements of American national power” to protect treaty allies South Korea and Japan.
Nobody, he continued, “should question our success in seeking sanctions and other power to put a price on these activities.”
North Korea’s highly sophisticated missile and nuclear weapons programs have not been curbed by decades of U.S.-led sanctions, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has shown no desire in resuming the unsuccessful diplomatic course he took with U.S. President Donald Trump.